Architect, Senior Software Developer, Scrum Master
Software Development professional with over 20 years of experience delivering enterprise applications
specializing in the web, database and GIS integrations.
Experience includes leading and mentoring team members, developing architecture, design, and requirements.
What people have to say about Ian
SQL Developer at CarProof
Ian is highly skilled and very hard working. He's a dedicated and loyal long team player who shows incredible commitment to his employer and staff. Ian is a very patient and conscientious individual who is easy to get along with. He's a great leader and well suited for high pressure time sensitive tasks.
March 30, 2011, Kevin worked directly with Ian at iLOOKABOUT Inc.
My Professional Timeline
Working hard and learning new skills
2016 – Present
Vertical Software International Inc. - London, Ontario
Senior Software Developer/Architect
VSI is a software development company delivering web application development services to clients worldwide. The main product is a COTS application that provides case management for multiple Children’s Aid organizations across Canada.
• Responsible for the financial module which manages approximately $20 million dollars per year in financial benefits to families in Newfoundland.
• Provide Team management and Architecture for the re-development of the core product using micro services involving a collection of API’s using .NET Core 2.1 and Kubernetes.
Use of Time: 80% Development, 20% Team and Business management
Technical Environment: Visual Studio 2017 (C# and VB), Azure Kubernetes, Mongo Database, Graph Database, MS SQL 2016, Azure DevOps (Git, CI/CD), Jira
2012 – 2016
Doxim - London, Ontario
Senior MVC Software Developer
Doxim provides software and document management services to an approximate 70% share of institutions in the Canadian credit union market.
• Conversion of the Loan Origination (LOS) application from a Windows form application to a web based SAAS application.
• LOS application uses many modern techniques including MVC, Bootstrap, SignalR, jQuery while protecting user information and integrating many 3rd party service for mortgage, loan insurance and vehicle valuations.
Use of Time: 90% Development, 10% Coaching and Business Support
Technical Environment: VB using Visual Studio 2013, Resharper, MS SQL 2012, Team Foundation Server, SVN
March 2013 - Jan 2014
TC Media - London, Ontario
Senior Software Developer
Product Lead for Web Services
TC Media provides content for flyers, catalogues, guides and magazines in a digital format for all screens, computer thru mobile devices.
• SME for the event capture and reporting system, trained the new Toronto Analytic team on our systems.
• Provided enterprise level REST web services using in memory caching with AppFabric and fail over. Add new custom service methods and provide training and integration with multiple 3rd party vendors.
• Created and maintained new and legacy ETL applications using a variety of technologies.
• Liaised with a team of offshore developers.
• Competed in the company wide Innovation Challenge and became one of the six finalist teams completing for the research grant awarded to the final winners.
Use of Time: 80% Development and maintenance, 20% Coaching and Business Support
Technical Environment: C# and VB using Visual Studio 2008-2013, Resharper, MS SQL 2008-2013, Team Foundation Server, SVN, AppFabric, Jira
2011 – 2012
Buckland Customs Brokers - St. Thomas, Ontario
Senior Software Developer and Database Analyst
Buckland provides brokerage for Canada, US and Mexican borders. During my period of employment we completed a five year project that moved the company systems from an AS400 mainframe to a windows based solution. This involved new databases and many improved workflows to eliminate entry errors. • Created and maintained EDI applications for connecting to Canada Border Services Agency platforms. • Created a document management application and associated services to allow for the splitting and merging of PDF, fax and office documents. It also provided a user interface to ‘quarterback’ 2000+ incoming document per day creating transactions and matching to customers. • Responsible for database tuning that allowed a five year project be deployed without database performance and locking issues. • Provided data query and reports from a variety of third party and internal applications. Use of Time: 80% Development and maintenance, 20% assisting customers and learning their requirements. Technical Environment: C# and VB using Visual Studio 2008-2008, MS SQL 2008-2012, Git, YouTrack
2001 – 2011
iLOOKABOUT - London, Ontario
Platform and Application Architect
Senior Software Developer
Education and Professional Development
Working hard and learning more skills
This first level of leadership development consists of seven courses designed to present fundamental knowledge that will help new and experienced leaders understand their role and the potential they have to positively influence others.
The most popular Agile certification! This two day course gives you the foundations to be an effective ScrumMaster and contributes towards the requirements of the Scrum Alliance's Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) program.
Working in a series of Sprints, teams of students build a software application, thereby facing real-life problems. The mechanics, roles, principles and (empirical) process of Scrum are demonstrated.